
I borrowed this because I bought her first book about Maura - Dangerous Lady, and enjoyed Maura’s spunky character as the ruler of the London “mafia”. Maura is the only daughter in an Irish family of sons, who, one by one, join the ranks of the gangs around Notting Hill (another London book! :> ). Like her brothers, she gets pulled into the action and succeeds, and even outperforms her brothers in the business.
This book continues in the same vein, and is an interesting read about how the older and wiser Maura beats her enemies in their game of revenge. However, her style gets tiring soon enough, and while in "Dangerous Lady" she has the plot to carry her on, in "Maura's Game" the plot does this only marginally. I like the original Maura better in "Dangerous Lady" better. I think she spent too much time developing Maura's character with the plot which made it dreary, whereas in "Dangerous Lady" there were other characters to find out more about. Read for continuity, or if you really really like Maura.
Rating: ** out of 5


No comments:
Post a Comment