Thursday, 5 July 2007

Christie, Agatha: Black Coffee


Who doesn’t like Christie? My only regret is that I haven’t read enough of her books, there being so many other books in the library to take advantage of, since the Christie books seem to always be there.
This is a Hercule Poirot mystery, and as usual, well told. Poirot is called in to investigate a murder and a theft of a secret formula stolen from the murder victim - but the theft was done before the murder, and the murder was done in the presence of all the occupants in the house, practically under their noses!

This was actually a play, in fact, Christie's first stage play, and adapted into novel form by a Charles Osbourne (her biographer, I presume). This shows in the book - it's simpler in style and plot, and has a lot of dialogue and action descriptions in it. Nevertheless, a good read. I'd have liked to see it being performed on stage, but I don't think it's being done anywhere now. Christie's "Mousetrap" is still on, though!


Rating: **out of 5

No comments: