
This was one of the books that came out after Dan Brown’s runaway bestseller “The Da Vinci Code” (DVC), and it’s easy to see why this was eclipsed by it – less controversial topic, first time author, etc. My mind took some jostling to remember the plot (who needs prodding to remember DVC's plot?) but when I did, I was pleasantly reminded that it was quite a good book! And apparently, the mystical book with the abnormally long name that's in the centre of the plot is a real book.
For a first-time writer, I think he does a pretty good job of spinning out a story. It got a bit dreary in the middle, where there wasn't any progress to solving the book's mysteries, and the main character is in the usual self-doubt moment. But then it picks up to finish with several twists to the plot and a slightly mysterious ending befitting the story.
If you liked DVC, you'd do well to read this. The writing style is not as polished, but the plot is.
Rating: ****out of 5


No comments:
Post a Comment