Sunday, 12 August 2007

McCaffrey, Anne and Todd: Dragon's Kin


I love Anne McCaffrey and her dragons of Pern. I'm not actually sure who started me on them, but it would likely have been Sterf. She spun such a wonderful world where dragons lived, defending Pern from the fall of Thread.
She's quite old though (81 years!), and with this book she's handed down the world of Pern to her youngest son, Todd. They write quite well together - sometimes a bit simplistic in this book I feel, but overall it had the same pull for me as the other dragon-related Anne McCaffrey books. And this isn't actually about a dragon, but a dragon's kin (thus the name of the book), called a watchwher, which is sort of a mini-dragon which can "see" heat. This new addition to the dragon family was a really good idea, because it gives Todd McCaffrey fodder for his new books. Hopefully he still has ideas about dragons themselves too! Looking forward to sampling some of his solo writings.


Rating: ***out of 5

No comments: